Oatlands School Council
What is a school council?
A school council is group of students who are elected to represent the views of all pupils and to improve their school.
The school council allows children have a ‘voice’ in school issues.
During meetings children are given the opportunity to discuss items that are important to them and their class.
The minutes of the meeting are then circulated to each class teacher for feedback to their class and to the head teacher with points for action.
As well as this opportunity to discuss ideas, issues and any concerns there is a suggestion box in the school hall where children are encouraged to make suggestions that could improve some aspect of school.
Why have a School Council?
- To help children develop responsible attitudes.
- To improve behaviour.
- To create a feeling of belonging, encourage listening to others and develop self-confidence.
- To improve pupil/teacher relationships.
Oatlands Infant School Council
School council meetings are held every other Monday at 2:20pm with Mrs Shaw.
We have been:
- Making posters and signs to remind children of the Golden Rules. The children have located where they’d like their posters displayed outside and in the hall on our main display.
- Discussing play-times and having Year 2 playground monitors on hand to help children find someone to play with and observing good playtime behaviour.
- Our councillors have the responsibility of seeking out positive achievements across the school, and informing their School Council Mentor weekly so that this can be showcased in our Friday achievement assembly.
- We met with the school governors and Mrs Anderson our head teacher to discuss recent plans and discussion and learn about our governors’ roles and responsibilities, which we found very interesting.
- The children have created a playground 'Buddy Bench' where children can go if they are struggling to find someone to play with. The School Council then led an assembly and showcased some playground games that are safe to play at playtimes.
- The School Council met with Mellors (our school lunch providers) to adapt the school menu. Each class chose well-balanced meal ideas and voted for their favourite. They now form part of our weekly menus.